R100 000 lump sum
R15 000 per additional contribution
How long to invest for
You must remain invested until you are at least 55 years old.
Freedom to move your money
You can move your preserved retirement savings to another preservation fund, retirement annuity or employer’s fund without any penalties.
Freedom to change your choice
You have total freedom to change your underlying investments. There is no charge to make a change, but depending on where you move your money to, initial investment charges may apply.
Your investment choices
Access to the widest choice of investments:
- a range of risk-profiled investment funds
- local or offshore funds
- actively managed or passive index-tracking funds
- single manager or multi-manager funds
- individual shares, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and other instruments via our stockbroking service
- Preserve and grow your retirement savings when you leave your employer
- If you are in a process of insolvency, your preservation fund investment is protected from creditors – they won’t be able to take from your savings
How it works
- You make a lump sum transfer from your existing provident or pension fund
- We invest the money in the underlying investments that you choose in collaboration with your financial planner
- Your money can grow over time based on your underlying investments
- You are allowed to make one withdrawal before retirement
When you retire
- Preservation Pension Fund: You may take up to a third of your money out, but you must transfer the rest to an income-generating product such as our Investment-linked Living Annuity, Investment-linked Lifetime Income Plan or a Life Annuity to provide you with an income after retirement
- Preservation Provident Fund: You may take up to 100% of your money as a lump sum, on which you will be taxed. If you do not take the full amount, you must transfer the rest to an income-generating product like those mentioned above.
- You may transfer the full amount to the income-generating product, or you may take it as a lump sum and continue your exposure to the markets in an Investment Plan, from which you can make withdrawals at any time
When you die
Trustees will take into account your wishes and all your dependants’ needs when you die to decide who receives this benefit.
If you are permanently disabled before you retire, your benefit is paid out to you in the same way as if you had reached retirement (aged 55).
Access to money
- Before retirement:
You can use the once-off withdrawal option to access your money before retirement. If you have made a withdrawal already, you have to wait until retirement to access your money
- At retirement:
- From a Preservation Pension Fund: You may take up to a third of your money out, but you must transfer the rest to an income-generating product in South Africa (such as our Investment-linked Living Annuity, Investment-linked Lifetime Income Plan or a Life Annuity), with proceeds paid into a South African bank account
- From a Preservation Provident Fund: You may take up to 100% of your money as a lump sum
- Tax benefits
- At retirement there is no tax on the amount transferred to a post-retirement product that provides you with an income during your retirement
- You don’t pay tax on any interest or dividends
- No CGT is applicable
- What is taxable?
- There is tax on any portion of your retirement savings that you withdraw in cash when you retire
- There is tax on any withdrawal benefit (if you emigrate and withdraw your money)
Fees vary per product and your underlying investment. Please speak to your financial planner to make sure you understand which fees you pay and why.